If you are involved in a car crash, there are a variety of important steps you must take.
Here are five things to keep in mind.
- Your safety always comes first: This starts with moving your vehicle out of harm’s way, if possible. For example, if you’re involved in a highway accident, move to the shoulder of the road. You can then administer first aid until help arrives.
- Call 911: It’s a mistake to assume you can manage the accident scene on your own. When you call 911, the dispatcher can send police and an ambulance to the scene without delay.
- Gather information: This is easier said than done if you’ve suffered injuries, but it’s something to attempt if you’re able. For instance, gather information from all other parties involved in the accident. Also, collect contact information of any witnesses.
- Receive medical treatment: Your health is top priority, so don’t hesitate to administer first aid and accept treatment from responding paramedics. You should also seek treatment at a local hospital, as this is the only way to gain a clear understanding of your injuries.
- Contact your insurance company: As soon as time allows, contact your agent to file a claim. Don’t rush into providing too much information, as doing so can cause you to say something that harms your ability to obtain all the compensation you deserve.
If you make any mistakes after an accident, it will only add more stress to your life. As you can imagine, that’s not something you need during this difficult time.