Peter Rietz has successfully tried high exposure cases in state and federal court. His practice emphasis is ski industry, water sports industry and sports-related litigation. He additionally handles commercial, construction-related, transportation, and general negligence matters. Before starting the Rietz Law Firm in 2000, Peter was a partner at White and Steele P.C., a long standing insurance defense firm in Denver.
Peter served as the 1990-91 president and is a founding board member of the Association of Ski Defense Attorneys. He has also been involved in numerous legislative efforts on behalf of the sports industry. Peter served for thirteen years as Special Counsel for the National Ski Areas Association and has recently been appointed General Counsel for the Water Sports Industry Association. His consulting includes working with Colorado Ski Country USA, the United States Ski and Snowboard Association; Professional Ski Instructors of America; the National Ski Patrol; Colorado River Outfitters Association, and the International Mountain Biking Association. Peter has also contributed to many sports publications. He has given numerous presentations for all of the above organizations.
Peter is a founding board member of the Sporting Goods Manufacturer's legal committee (SGMA), an association of lawyers devoted to the defense of retailers and manufacturers of sports-related equipment.
Peter is AV rated with Martindale Hubbell.
Peter is an avid skier. He is a Level III certified PSIA/RMSIA instructor, Level 300 certified national race coach. He has served as a board member with the Rocky Mountain Division of United States Ski Association, Breckenridge Race Club and the Loveland Basin Race Club, with 26 years coaching and instructing experience. He is also an avid water ski enthusiast with extensive tournament experience and has owned and operated a water ski school in Wisconsin since 1971.
Areas Of Practice
- Ski Industry
- Water Sports Industry
- Sports-related Litigation
- Colorado, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- J.D. - 1985
- University of Denver
- B.A. - 1972
- Major: political science
- Minor: economics
Honors and Awards
- AV rating, Martindale Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colorado Bar Association
- Wyoming Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Association of Ski Defense Attorneys, President, 1990 to 1991
- Defense Research Institute
- Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association
- Association of Ski Defense Attorneys, Founding Board Member
- National Ski Areas Association, Special Counsel
- Water Sports Industry Association, General Counsel
- Sporting Goods Manufacturer’s legal committee (SGMA), Board Member
Past Employment Positions
- White and Steele P.C., Partner
Pro Bono Activities
- Level III Certified PSIA/RMSIA Instructor
- Level 300 Certified National Race Coach
- Rocky Mountain Division of United States Ski Association, Board Member
- Breckenridge Race Club, Board Member
- Loveland Basin Race Club, Board Member